wood nativity scene. I worked on the cross-stitch until Christmas time, then put it away. I forgot about it until June when I pulled it back and to work on it periodically. I finally started working on it non stop in September and I finished the cross-stitch about a week and a half ago. Two nights ago I sat down and added the backing and sewed and edge on and finished it. I'm not good at waiting, so I went ahead and gave it to Mom (I know...it's way early, but I'm not good at waiting).
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Friday, November 18, 2011
A while back one of the Assistant Editors for Stylelist Home, Huffington Post's new design and DIY site, emailed me and asked permission to post up my idea for monogrammed gourds as place settings. I of course was excited and said yes. Well, it has now been posted on their site!
Check it out!
11/11/ creative-ideas-for-place-cards_ n_1088085.html?ref=stylelist-h ome#s465275&title=Monogrammed_ Gourds
Check it out!
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
For our 5th Anniversary, my husband and I had wedding style pictures taken. As my flowers from our wedding didn't even last that whole day I didn't have a bouquet to use for the shoots, so I made me a bouquet. It sat decoratively on my piano for a few months until the actual shoots took place. It worked fantastic! I loved the way it accented both dresses (a more modern and trendy dress and a more classic dress) and added a splash of color to the shoot. I LOVE how the bouquet worked out.
Check both of our photographers out!
Jacie Ames (Jacie Ames Photography):
Jacie Ames (Jacie Ames Photography):
Karen Orphey (Treehouse Photography):
Thursday, November 10, 2011
I've never been a huge fan of wreaths, but I do like a simple one every now and then. I bought me a grapevine wreath and a few $1 flower bunches and went to work. It actually wasn't much work. I went to fun. That just sounds silly. Anyway...I cut the flowers into single stalks and then stuck them in the wreath. I didn't hot glue or anything, just stuck them in cracks so that I could pull them out and reuse the wreath for Christmas and other holidays. For Halloween I put a paper bat in the wreath, but now that Halloween is over the bat is gone and it's back to being a Fall/Thanksgiving wreath.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Okay...I know Halloween is over, but I never got around to posting up our porch decorations. We wanted to decorate the porch for halloween, but we didn't want it to be expensive. Here's what we came up with: a scarecrow, tons of bats, pumpkins and the wicked witch of the east.
Bats: I cut out tons of bats from black cardstock, strung yard through the eaves, then tied the bats to the yarn with sewing thread.
Scarecrow: I dug through the closet, found old clothes and stuffed them with pillows and table clothes. I put two sticks in the legs so he'd stay up. It took me a while to come up with a head, but I ended up putting the top band from orange stockings over a bike helmet and then putting the straw hat over the top. It worked out pretty well. I then tied the guy to the porch post so he'd stay standing up. This guys scared me just about every time I walked outside.
Smooshed witch legs: I bought a pair of stockings, cut the legs off and stuffed them with stuffing. For the shoes I dug a pair of black shoes out of the thrift store bag, sprayed them with spray adhesive and dumped red glitter on them. I then glued the stockings into the shoes, used a spatula to tuck the top ends of the legs in the crack between our porch and our house and wah-la! Witch legs. Cameron helped me gather twigs to tie to a stick to make the witch's broom.
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Monday after work we went over to the trunk or treat at our church. We didn't have enough time to put on our costumes, but we did have enough time to give our car a quick little costume. We even got 3rd place in the trunk decorating contest that we didn't know was going on.
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
I love coming up with Halloween costumes and helping people make their costumes. This year we had a lot of fun with it. Mine didn't turn out quite like I saw it in my head, but it worked. I was windblown and Cameron was a Scandinavian troll.
I was supposed to have newspaper around my leg (like it had blown there and stuck), but it wouldn't stay on.
Cameron's costume made me chuckle every time I looked at him, we were so tickled at how it turned out. He made the vest 2 years ago and then we put the rest of the costume together this year. We took old pants out of the craft pile and added patches, shredded the bottom and added an awesome tail in the back (I forgot to get pictures of it, I'll do that and post it up...it was great). His shirt was one out of the good-will bag that was way to big on him. We added patches, shredded the edges and literally rubbed it in dirt and ashes. We bought the wig and nose at wally world, and then made the hat and belt out of brown stretchy fabric.